Did you know that official documents require certified translation? Accurate translation is a priority for all government agencies in Canada. This is because in Canada, French and English have equal status under the policy of official bilingualism. As a result, all government documents need to be presented in both French and English versions. This means translation services are necessary for everything government related, many with specific translation requirements. Learn more about why you need certified translations for all government documents.

Canada Has Two Official Languages

In 1867, French and English were clearly established as Canada’s official languages to be used by members of Parliament, the Federal Court, and Quebec’s National Assembly and courts as outlined by the British North America Act. Although the Official Languages Act stipulates that citizens can choose to speak the language of their choice, the Federal government must provide services in both English and French. This is especially important today because there are more than 200 different spoken languages in Canada. The Act ensures that the government can communicate and provide services in both official languages to ensure all citizens can understand their message, and to also guarantee that those languages continue to survive in Canada well into the future.

Documents Require Certification By Law

This means that all government documents in Canada must be in French or English. If documents are in another language, they must be accompanied by a translated document completed by a certified translator. For example, if you are a new immigrant or returning Canadian, your personal documents and qualifications in another language will need to be translated by a certified translator who must stamp or provide their membership number. Documents that require certified translation by law include a driver’s license, vehicle registration, birth and marriage certificates, divorce decrees, educational qualifications, employer’s references, and legal documents that will need to be brought before the court.

Only Recognized Certified Translation Is Approved

When you need a certified translator in Canada, you are required to hire a qualified company that has been recognized by a provincial or territorial certifying association. Under the Ontario Law, for instance, the only officially recognized certification is a Certified Translator’s ATIO number, seal, or stamp and signature. ATIO stands for the Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario (ATIO) and is provided to those who have passed the Standardized National Certification examination administered by the (CTTIC), and subscribed to the ATIO’s code of professional ethics. In Quebec, to be a certified translator, membership in the Ordre des traducteurs, terminologues et interprètes agréés du Québec (OTTIAQ) is required.

Where You Can Find A Certified Translator

When you need professional, certified translator you can rely on, call us at Fox Translations. We provide translation services for both government, business and general public from 20 major languages to Canadian English and French. Our office is located right in the heart of Canada’s capital, and we have extensive experience in translating documents for the Government of Canada as well as for provincial and municipal governments. Whether you need to translate a technical, legal, financial, or administrative document – we have you covered! Our services include everything from editing, revision, adaptation, localization and updating. Learn more about our services and processes here and reach out today to receive certified translation for all your government and personal documents.